LCVP INFORMATION NIGHT 2020
The Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme (LCVP) is a senior cycle programme designed to give a strong vocational dimension to the Leaving Certificate. Students taking the Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme follow the Leaving Certificate curriculum as usual, in addition to two Link Modules - Preparation for the World of Work and Enterprise Education.
In Presentation Tralee, we work on developing the LCVP programme to promote self-esteem and confidence in our students. Over the course of two years, students complete a portfolio for their exam, they take part in work placements and in a number of activities which help to develop their communication skills and presentation skills. These skills are invaluable to students as they progress to third level education. We strive to encourage students to enhance their CVs and ensure they are capable of presenting themselves in a professional manner in the work place.
They will have the opportunity of completing a Microsoft Word Commercial Examining Board Exam and they also work on aspects of programming throughout their course. Intensive career research is carried out in Sixth Year and furthermore students complete an interview for their exam which enables them to practise interview skills and prepare them for future interviews in the work place.
The Link Modules
Link Module I – Preparation for Work Students undertake a work placement module Develop job-seeking skills, such as letter writing, Curriculum Vitae presentation and interview preparation. They also research and investigate local employment opportunities.
Link Module II – Enterprise Education Students will be involved in organising a Trade Fair and visits out to local business and community enterprises. They will meet with local entrepreneurs plan and undertake interesting activities that will build self–confidence, creativity, and initiative and develop teamwork, communication and computer skills.
Programme Requirements for students taking Leaving Certificate Examination from 2004 onwards
- At least five Leaving Certificate subjects plus the Link Modules, one of which must be Irish
- Two of the subjects below must be selected from one of the designated Vocational Subject Groupings
- Two Link Modules: Preparation for the World of Work and Enterprise Education
- A recognised course in a Modern European Language other than Irish or English:
Vocational Subject Groupings (VSG)
Students must have one of the following combinations in order to do LCVP:
Students must have one of the following combinations in order to do LCVP
- Accounting, Business, Economics ( Any Two)
- Art and Accounting or Business or Economics
- Biology and Chemistry or Physics
- Biology, Home Economics, Agricultural Science- Any two
- Construction Studies and Accounting or Business or Economics
- Home Economics and Accounting or Business or Economics
- Home Economics and Art
- Music and Accounting or Business or Economics
- Physics and Chemistry
- Science and Constructions Studies
- Agricultural Science and Constructions Studies
- Agricultural Science and Chemistry or Physics
- Agricultural Science and Accounting or Business or Economics
Please note LCVP is not considered as one of your six subjects for points calculation for the Universities; it is taken in the Institutes of Technology.
Certification LCVP students receive the same certificate as other Leaving Certificate students but their Certificate includes an additional statement of the results of the Link Modules.
Asessment of the Link Modules
The Link Modules are assessed as follows:
- Written Examination (40%)
- Portfolio of Coursework (60%)
Grades for the Link Modules are as follows:
The Link Modules are recognized by the Institutes of Technology and the Universities. The points are allocated as follows:
|66 points (same as H4)|
46 points (same as H6)
28 points (same as O4)
|80% – 100%|
65% – 79%
50% – 64%