The following letter from the Board of Management is for all students, parents/guardians and staff
6th March 2020
An information letter re CoVid-19 was issued to all parents from the Chief Medical Officer earlier this week and is available on the downloads section of the school website. Any further letters from the CMO will also be available in the downloads section of the school website. However, schools have now been asked to take any and all measures to ensure public safety within their communities.
The school has already taken several measures in a proactive response to the positive diagnosis of Coronavirus in Ireland. It is our aim to protect our pupils, their families, our staff and the wider community, where possible, in terms of contracting or transmitting the virus.
The pupils are advised daily on the importance of regular hand hygiene and we have serviced and filled alcohol gel dispensers around the school. Hand washing with warm soapy water is the number one way to prevent the spread of this infection. Pupils have been informed about the risk of touching their eyes nose and mouth with unwashed hands. We encourage you as Parents/Guardians to reinforce this message within the home.
The correct coughing technique has been demonstrated to the pupils and is another effective measure to prevent cross contamination. Coughing into the elbow in a downward motion is advised.
Our ancillary and support staff have been given clear guidelines as recommended by the HSE in how to clean and disinfect all frequently touched surfaces.
However, following the HSE call to focus on public safety in respect of our students, the Board of Management has decided at its meeting on the 5th March to issue the following directives.
- In order to protect student health and minimise risk of exposure all external visitors to the school are to be curtailed except in case of emergency.
- The school reception office will no longer be open to parents. The first point of contact for Parents/Guardians with the school is to be phone, text or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org Parents/Guardians are directed not to visit the school except in case of emergency. They are also directed not to bring other children to the school.
- When children have unavoidable appointments Parents/Guardians should keep them at home for the day. No sign out facility will be operated by the school except in case of emergency.
- Items may not be dropped into the school for students during the school day.
- Students wishing to contact home will no longer have the use of a shared mobile phone – they will be able to request a text be sent through the VsWare system from the office
- Students will be allowed to eat in the assembly area in the case of hot and cold food or in their assigned year area for cold food only.
- The primary function of the school is core teaching – in order to safeguard core teaching all non-essential trips, meetings and events will be suspended.
- The Parents/Guardians of any Students returning from travel abroad are required to contact the school at email@example.com at least 2 days before their scheduled date to return to school.
- Any Staff returning from travel abroad are required to contact the school at firstname.lastname@example.org at least 2 days before their scheduled date to return to school.
- The Parents/Guardians of any Students who come into contact with the virus are asked to notify the school as soon as possible.
- Staff are currently working to put plans in place to provide work by email to students in the event of a school closure. In this eventuality, Parents/Guardians are asked to ensure that Students are keeping up with their work from home.
- The Board finally directs that any Student or family member who may have been exposed to the virus self-isolates for the recommended 14 days in your own home. Any Students who are at risk, directly or vicariously, are exempt from attending school, for the health and safety of all concerned.
The measures above will come into practice from Monday 9th March until further notice.
We would like to thank you in advance for your support in working to ensure the safety of the entire school community.
Brendan Walsh Mary Kennelly
Chairperson Board of Management Principal/Secretary Board of Management